GREENVILLE, S.C., Sept. 20, 2018 — More than a dozen campgrounds and RV resorts across North and South Carolina are providing temporary shelter or a place to stay for Hurricane Florence evacuees, and several of them are offering discounts, according to the Carolinas Association of RV Parks & Campgrounds.
“Campgrounds and RV parks are uniquely positioned to accommodate evacuees and often provide emergency shelter during or after major storms, not only in the Carolinas, but across the United States,” said Dee Witting, executive director of the Carolinas Association of RV Parks & Campgrounds.
Witting added that many areas of the Carolinas escaped damage during Hurricane Florence and campgrounds in these locations are able to accommodate evacuees as well as travelers.
Although the Carolinas Association of RV Parks & Campgrounds hosts a travel planning website at campingcarolinas.com, Witting is reaching out to each campground, RV park and resort that’s a member of the association to determine which parks are currently open and best able to accommodate evacuees right now. These parks include:
- Boone KOA, Boone, N.C., (828) 264-7250 or https://koa.com/campgrounds/boone/.
- Camp Hatteras, Waves, N.C., (252) 987-2777 or www.camphatteras.com. (Roads are clear)
- Cape Hatteras KOA, Rodanthe, N.C., (252) 987-2307 or https://koa.com/campgrounds/cape-hatteras/. (Roads are clear)
- ?Fort Wilderness RV Park and Campground, Whittier, N.C., (828) 497-9331 or www.fortwilderness.net
- Grapefull Sisters Vineyard and Carrollwoods RV Park, north of Myrtle Beach, S.C., (843) 284-6397 or (910) 653-5538 or www.grapefullsistersvineyard.com
- Lanier’s Campground, Surf City, N.C., (910) 328-9431 or www.lanierscampground.com. (This campground expects to re-open later this week)
- ?Magnolia RV Park & Campground, Kinards, S.C., (864) 697-1214 or www.magnoliarvparksc.com
- ?Ocean Lakes Family Campground, Myrtle Beach, S.C., (843) 828-4829 or www.oceanlakes.com. (Limited spaces due to special events in October)
- ?Pine Ridge Campground, Roebuck, S.C., (864) 576-0302 or www.pineridgecampground.com
- ?The Great Outdoors RV Resort, Franklin, N.C., (828) 349-0412 or http://gorvresort.com.
- ?White Oak Shores Camping & RV Resort, Stella, N.C., (252) 393-3244 or http://whiteoakshores.com. (This park is accepting local area evacuees)
- Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park Camp-Resort, Asheboro, N.C., (336) 964-0813 or https://asheborojellystone.com.
- Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park Camp-Resort, Tabor City, N.C., (877) 668-8586 or https://taborcityjellystone.com.